Sunday, May 20, 2007

Back from St. Louis

Ken and I road-tripped to St. Louis with friends of ours this weekend. We hit the Science Center, ate Imo's Pizza, and attended a Cowboy Mouth concert. The Science Center was cool but would have been cooler had we been about 20 years younger. I did get to climb a rock wall, though, and I hadn't ever done that before so that was worth the admission price. Imo's Pizza is always delectable. And the Cowboy Mouth show was entertaining. I had never heard of them but one of our friends loves this band and encouraged us to see them live. This is definitely a band that shines in a small venue (we saw them at the Pageant). They're going to be guests on Regis and Kelly one day this week, so if you're so inclined, set the TiVo. Or check out YouTube next weekend--I imagine someone will post their performance. They've been touring and recording for about 15 years, and I understand they've recently acquired new management, so I wouldn't be surprised if their most recent album (Voodoo Shoppe) breaks out. You know, as an "overnight success" type thing.

4 comments:

Bridget (& Jimmy) said...

So that's why you didn't call me back:)
I miss Imo's pizza - now I'm hungry. Thanks.

Kelly Swails said...

I know! I'm a bad friend. Ken gave me hell about it all weekend.

And don't complain to me about the food, missy. You live in L.A., for cryin' out loud. You could probably find Indian take-out at 3 a.m. if you wanted. Of course, that isn't the same as Imo's or Papa Del's, but ...

kate.innuendo said...

Oh man, Cowboy Mouth- I approve. They are one of those bands you have to see LIVE. Their studio stuff just doesn't translate.

I saw them at Voodoo fest in 2005 and they were the most fun of all the bands that day. That was the year of Katrina and half of the festival was relocated to Memphis. Since Cowboy Mouth was from NOLA, it felt like a pep rally, and $ went to rebuilding.

Kelly Swails said...

K8: I completely agree. I downloaded their last three CD's so I could become familiar with their music before the show. After giving them a listen I was ambivelent about the band, but their live show totally kicked ass. I listened to their latest disk on the way to work this morning and I have to say I like the songs a little bit more after hearing them in concert. I'd pay to see them again, though I don't know if Ken would. They're going to be in Chicago in July and St. Louis again in November. Perhaps if they go to Indy this year I can convince Amy to make it a girl's night and you can join us.