Monday, December 10, 2007

Planetary alignment question

Is Jupiter in retrograde Capricorn or something? Okay, I have no idea what that meant, but listen to my day.

First thing this morning--I'm talkin' 7 a.m.--I had a periodontist appointment. I have a 12 mm pocket behind my distal #14 molar, and it had to be scraped clean and stitched down so the gum could reattach to my tooth. Good times. I told the doc I didn't need Darvecet and would just use ibuprofen. He gave me some amoxicillin and special mouthwash and sent me on my way.

So I finally get to work a little after 8 a.m. We had our computer upgrade yesterday and today was the first day for most people to work on the actual live system. Sure, we'd been working on the test side for months but it's just different when you're actually live. I'm the Superuser for Micro, and so it was pretty important that I be there. Then around 9 a.m. I got a phone call from Ken--when he started his car the cabin filled with smoke and so he didn't want to drive it. Could I take a long lunch so we could car shop? I got very lucky because we had extra people on hand for the upgrade and so I was able to leave work around 10 a.m. Ken drove a Saturn Vue, then we had lunch ....

.... where I tried to eat chunky soup in a bread bowl. No dice. I ate the soup without chewing and passed off the bread bowl to Ken. Mouth pain at a definite peak, so I popped more ibuprofen before we hit another car dealership ...

... where we spent four hours looking at two cars. The dealer let Ken bring home a Hyundai Sante Fe for the night. Ken's leaning towards the Saturn, but at least this way he'll have a way to get to work tomorrow.

When we got home, I found another agent rejection in my mailbox.

So. My mouth hurts bad enough that I can't eat solid food, we have to buy a car, I didn't get to the gym tonight, and I haven't written anything in three days. All I want to do is curl up under a blanket and suck on a piece of cake.

6 comments:

Bridget (& Jimmy) said...

Yikes - bad day!

Good news: you get a new car.
Bad news: you have to pay for a new car.

Good news: you don't need to go to the gym because you can't eat anything.
Are you crazy not taking the drugs just in case?! They did surgery in your mouth!

I read Ken's blog. Funny. I would comment, but he doesn't allow anonymous comments and I don't want to sign up for another blog:(

As for the car, I haven't tried the Saturn Vue.
I have ridden in a couple Santa Fe's and have been really impressed, especially for the price.
Good luck!

kate.innuendo said...

Holy Crap! You are a super trooper.

Kelly Swails said...

Bridget: that's exactly what Julie said--take the Darvecet, dumbass! But you know how I am about unnecessary medicines and all that.

K8: thanks. I'm feeling a little better today. I just wish I could eat normal.

Anonymous said...

Mmmm. Suck on cake. Sleepy-happy-yum.

We take no whining! You are make production now! You are work! This is not of relaxation and vacation ease! This is of life! Hup-two, hup-two!

And have a betterer tomorrow!

Kelly Swails said...

Sean: Thank you, Mr. Miaggi. :)

Ken Swails said...

By popular demand, my journal now allows anonymous posts. But why someone would rather use Blogger than LiveJournal is beyond me.