Saturday, May 03, 2008

I'm doomed




I went and did it. I bought a pair of knitting needles and some yarn, and last night I got together with some co-workers and learned to knit. Okay, "learn" is a strong word. "Tried" is better. This morning I tried to do some more and failed to even get started. I tossed the needles aside and said, "bah! I have too much other stuff to do anyway."

And then I went online, found a cool beginner's website, learned a new way to "cast on", and went to town. I knitted two rows, purled two rows, and cast off. I wouldn't say it was easy--I dropped a few stitches and my finished product is pretty loose--but I think I'm actually getting the hang of it. I'll never knit my own sweaters, but if I can get good enough to work my way up to scarves, I wouldn't complain.

Like I needed another way to fill my days, right?


ETA the pictures.


5 comments:

Jodi Meadows said...

Oooh, it looks great! You'll be knitting sweaters in no time, for real! You've totally got the hang of your knits and purls. That's more than a lot of people get their first times! :)

Kelly Swails said...

Thanks, dude! Something just clicked today: "oh, this is just weaving a bunch of fancy almost-knots". After I knitted for about an hour my hands were all sore and crinkled up. I felt like an old woman. :)

Bridget (& Jimmy) said...

You're knitting? That sounds like something Julie would do.
I think you're just trying not to study. So, get studying.
Good luck!

Anonymous said...

I'd like to put in my order for a nice Irish fisherman's sweater made with Aran wool... you know, for that inevitable day when you can't stand to sit down and write and need a massive project to distract you...

Kelly Swails said...

Bridget: I know, doesn't it? It's oddly addicting, though.

Sean: You bet. As soon and I master the purl stitch and make myself a griffyndor scarf ... and write a few more books ... oh, and play guitar hero ... ;)