Sunday, March 12, 2006

ain't technology grand?

Ken has finally fulfilled a deep-seated desire: he's hooked up wireless internet in our house. Currently I'm camped out on the couch upstairs while I cruise the information highway, and I gotta say I love it.

I can't say so much for my new digital camera ...

We ordered this kick-ass Panasonic Lumix camera three weeks ago. After some headaches, we finally received it, except it's missing the battery charger. Which means we currently have a kick-ass Panasonic Lumix paperweight. The company we bought it from is supposed to be fed-exing us a charger, and it should be here Wednesday. Fuckers. This is what we get for researching cameras and buying the one we thought was best instead of buying blindly off the shelf. It'll be worth the wait, hopefully, but what a pain in the ass. Hopefully soon I'll be able to dazzle you all with pictures of kitties.

Springtime weather today! Ken and I went to Lowe's--the mecca of suburban married couples everywhere--and bought some lawn goodies. We drooled over the seeds for our vegetable garden but decided that we needed a plan this year instead of planting things willy-nilly. Knowing my husband, he'll break out the ruler to make a map of the ideal garden. He's such an organizer. More like he likes for things to be organized without actually organizing anything. He delegates. I ignore. It's a system that works well for us.

Last night we played poker. Ken was first out, and I came in third. I should have won--I had the chip lead for most of the night--but when it got down to three I pulled a bonehead move. I had a pair of fives, but decided to bet big so I could push my opponet around with my chip stack. She pushed all in. I easily had her covered, and my first instinct was that she was bluffing--trying to call my bluff with a bluff of her own. I called, and she fucking flips over a straight. I lost something like $15 in that hand. That loss made the three of us remaining about evenly matched. Usually if I lose a big hand like that, I get scared off of betting, and last night was no exception. I finally go fed up and went all-in with a A-Q. Lost to a pair of kings. I was so pissed off at myself for making the bonehead move. I'm still a little bitter. Not that I lost, but that I made a bad decision. Losing I can handle, as long as I played a good game. I'm the same way at work--I can handle screwing up if it's something I maybe didn't know before, or if I made the best decision I could with the information I had. If I screw up and I should have really known better, it'll bother me for days.

No comments: